Are you searching for the perfect onboarding software for your small business in 2023? You’ve come to the right place. In the fast-paced world of a growing business, handling new hires can be a drag. But with employee onboarding software, you can streamline the hiring process and allow new employees to fit into your organisation seamlessly.
We have trialled the top 15 best-rated onboarding software programs for small businesses and created a list of our 8 favourites. Our product ratings are meticulously calculated, assigning a weighted percentage to each evaluated factor: 40% for basic features, 20% for additional features, 20% for usability and customer support, and 20% for pricing. Using this rating system, we have given each onboarding software a rating out of 5 for the best onboarding software for small businesses.
Let’s have a look at the best software programs to organise your paperwork and allow new hires a smooth introduction to your business.
BambooHR software is an acclaimed human resources tool that is recognised for its comprehensive range of features, ease of use, and exceptional customer support. It provides a platform to streamline and automate HR processes and functions, including onboarding, time-tracking, payroll, and customisable reports.
- Intuitive and clean interface that is easy to navigate.
- Centralised employee database and self-service options.
- Robust reporting and analytics capabilities.
- Integrates well with other systems.
- Excellent customer support system.
- Electronic document signatures.
- Onboarding task management.
- Centralized employee records.
- Personalized onboarding checklists.
- Performance management.
- Custom reporting.
- Welcome emails and team introductions.
- Integration with benefits administration.
BambooHR doesn’t list pricing for their onboarding software on their website, as this varies based on several factors, including the number of employees, and the specific features needed. However, the standard pricing for onboarding software (which includes many other features) is USD 8.25 per employee, per month. It is a cost-effective program that provides a lot of bang for the buck, particularly for startups and small companies. You can also try it free for 7 days, which is a huge bonus.
BambooHR is extremely user-friendly. Our staff all found that the interface was very easy to navigate. We have found Bamboo HR to be a great time-saving tool, as it allows our employees to update personal information and upload forms without needing our HR service’s help. The payroll feature also saves us a lot of time in admin. It allows you to track your employee’s hours worked, record their time off, manage their benefits and run payroll.
Best of all, we found the Bamboo HR customer service team to be incredible and very eager to help on the few occasions we required assistance. We have had some minor issues navigating some of the advanced features in payroll; however, the support staff have been very helpful in explaining how things work and getting us on the right track.
We really appreciate the fact that Bamboo HR is a one-stop shop. We could use it for benefits administration, performance management and custom reporting; saving us the need to be paying multiple subscriptions to multiple platforms.
However, there are areas where BambooHR could improve. Whilst it offers time-tracking and payroll, it doesn’t notify us if one of our employees doesn’t take their scheduled lunch break. Also, we did find the mobile app can be a little bit difficult to use. Lastly, whilst the software is extremely simple to use, it isn’t as customisable as some other software programs. One of the most annoying things we found was that we weren’t able to run payroll for our non-US-based employees.
Despite these areas for improvement, overall, we still think BambooHR is a great onboarding software tool for small businesses and we especially love that they are always releasing new features based on the feedback they receive.
Paycom is a reliable Human Capital Management (HCM) software market solution. It makes the onboarding process simple and easy for the employer and employee. Some of the features we used were talent acquisition and management, time tracking, payroll management, performance management, expense management, and benefits administration.
- Supports employee onboarding by providing a personalised portal for new hires.
- Customisable software that can be tailored to meet specific organisational needs.
- Provides employee self-service options, reducing the need for HR intervention.
- Extensive automation capabilities that save time and reduce errors.
- Dedicated support that will help navigate HR complexities.
- Employee self-onboarding.
- Electronic document acknowledgement.
- Learning management for initial training.
- Various HR reporting capabilities, including report builder and pre-built reports.
- User-friendly interface that allows employees to access and update their profiles and timecards.
- Offers extensive recruiting and applicant tracking features.
- Offers leave and attendance management features, including approval workflows, balance details, and annual carry-forward and encashment of paid time off.
- Direct deposit setup.
- E-verify and background checks integration.
- Compliance tracking beyond initial hire.
- Includes performance management features like performance plans, improvement plans, review status tracking, goal alignment, and review reminders.
Detailed pricing for Paycom is not explicitly stated on their website, as this largely hinges on the individual requirements of each business. However, it is USD 500 for 15 employees to cover the setup, training and implementation fee. On top of this, it is USD 4-6 per employee, per month. The cost will increase as additional features are added. There is a 14-day free trial, which allows you to ‘try before you buy’.
We loved Paycom because it includes all of the HR tools you could need, including onboarding, applicant tracking, payroll, and HR metrics. It made welcoming new employees into our business super easy with its 100% paperless onboarding. Paycom allowed us to assign new hires an online checklist of tasks and notified us when it was completed. There is also the option to allow self-onboarding, which meant we could give our new hires an opportunity to get organised by completing required tasks and watching induction videos before their ‘official’ start day.
Paycom’s mobile app is very easy to use and there are great ‘how-to’ videos if you struggle to use any features in the app. The software’s flexibility in tailoring its products to meet specific needs and its capacity to provide solutions for various HR challenges are also commendable. Lastly, the recruiting features allow businesses to hire only well-suited candidates! Paycom has an e-verify system which will confirm the employee’s eligibility and avoid any possible issues that arise with hiring ineligible candidates.
However, the product does have its drawbacks. We had some trouble with implementing the program, as it can be challenging to navigate at first. Additionally, we have had some issues with clocking in and out when logging work hours. Sometimes it will glitch a little and cause you to be ‘late’ when it is only a matter of 1 minute. However, for the most part, the time-tracking feature has been a game-changer.
All in all, Paycom offers customisable and efficient onboarding features, as well as a host of other HR features. It is an all-in-one software and allows you to add extra features at an additional cost. It may take some time to set up, however, it is worth it once you learn the ropes.
Gusto Onboarding Software is a comprehensive tool designed to simplify and streamline the employee onboarding process. The platform offers an array of features, such as electronic document signing, new hire paperwork collection, and automated workflows. Furthermore, Gusto is commended for its user-friendly interface, integrating seamlessly with other Gusto products and providing customisable templates and workflows.
- Efficient onboarding process.
- Streamlined payroll and benefits system integration.
- Easy collection of employee information.
- Compliance with legal requirements.
- E-signatures for onboarding documents.
- Offer letter templates.
- Team-signed E-cards and ‘fun’ virtual celebrations.
- Integrations for accounting, time tracking, and expense management.
- Basic payroll setup including unlimited payroll runs, federal, local, and state tax filings, and more.
- 24/7 access to Gusto’s online support team
- Ability to create and manage job postings.
- Customisable offer letters and welcome email templates.
- Customisable onboarding checklists.
- Coordinate and review employee review cycles.
Gusto’s ‘Basic’ plan is USD 40 per month, with an additional USD 6 per month, per person. This includes basic hiring and onboarding tools, payroll and time-tracking features and benefits integration. Gusto also offers a ‘Plus’ plan which is USD 80 per month, with an additional USD 12 per month, per person. This plan includes advanced hiring and onboarding tools, comprehensive payroll, and benefits, among other HR tools.
From our perspective, Gusto Onboarding software is a total game-changer when it comes to simplifying and speeding up the onboarding process. All the necessary employee information can be easily collected and managed, making the process of onboarding programs and setting up payroll and benefits a breeze. It is an automated process that saves time and reduces the likelihood of errors. The software is also handy regarding compliance with legal requirements. Gusto provides templates and guidance for creating legally required documents and helps keep track of important deadlines.
Gusto’s Wallet app is a mobile app used to keep track of payment history, hours worked and more. It allows employees to access a breakdown of each paycheck, including what was put into their taxes and their 401k accounts. Employees then have the option to set up a high-yield savings account to manage their money and have their paychecks be paid into separate accounts to help them achieve their savings goals. On top of this, it also has some fun quirky animations that employees receive when they have been paid.
While Gusto provides a comprehensive onboarding solution, there are areas where it could improve. The customer support we have received from Gusto has been quite hit-and-miss. There is room for improvement in terms of response time and also in the handling of more complex issues. Additionally, we would suggest that the time-tracking feature of hours worked should be included in the basic plan and not just the premium plan. Lastly, it is disappointing that Gusto doesn’t offer a free trial so businesses can see what they are signing up for.
All things considered, the minor issues with Gusto aren’t outweighed by the robust platform which significantly simplifies the onboarding process, and takes care of employees’ personal savings goals.
OnPay is an award-winning, cloud-based onboarding and payroll software solution that serves businesses of all sizes. It simplified our hiring process, and streamlined payroll and HR tasks. The software provided us with a range of customisable reports for our new hires and pay slips.
- We are confident that Onpay meets a high level of compliance with tax laws and regulations.
- The option for self-onboarding and delegation of onboarding tasks saves us a lot of time.
- Our employees love the portals for accessing pay stubs and tax forms.
- Easy to use and navigate.
- Unlimited payroll runs in all 50 states, which is great for our remote teams.
- We appreciate the option for various payment options, including direct deposit and check printing.
- The time-tracking feature is a game-changer for both us and our employees.
- The electronic document signing makes filling out forms quick and easy.
- Our staff love the integrated employee benefits administration, including health insurance and retirement plans.
- HR resource library access.
- OnPay handles the calculation and payment of all payroll taxes, including automated tax filing and payment workflows, ensuring our business stays compliant with federal and state regulations.
- The new hire self-service portal with custom reports streamlines onboarding.
OnPay offers a transparent and affordable pricing model, with a base fee of $40 per month and an additional $6 per employee per month. It provides a free one-month trial for new customers to test the software and its features.
Regarding its advantages, OnPay’s online payroll processing system and tax services are what set it apart from other onboarding software. They allow us to manage our payroll from anywhere. The software auto-calculates and withholds the appropriate taxes for each employee and makes the appropriate deductions to generate our pay stubs and tax documents, which saves us hours upon hours. With this auto-technology, we are confident that Onpay helps us stay compliant with tax laws and regulations.
On the other hand, in comparison with other payroll and HR software solutions, OnPay may need more customisation. Additionally, it may provide a different extensive functionality on its mobile admin version than it does on desktops. However, the introduction of a mobile app for employees, available for iOS, helps bridge this gap, offering access to payroll data, pay stubs, tax forms, benefits, and more. The app does have a user-friendly interface, but it’s worth noting that some features may still be missing.
We did find the paid time off (PTO) feature for vacation/sick policies to be generic and non-customisable.
Furthermore, while OnPay generally offers excellent customer support, there may be room for improvements in some areas. Nonetheless, it’s been positively received for its ease of use, customer support, and value for money, making it a reliable and cost-effective solution for businesses seeking efficient payroll and HR management.
Workday Onboarding software, a part of Workday’s Human Capital Management (HCM) suite, is an all-encompassing solution engineered to streamline the onboarding process and ensure a smooth transition for new employees. It is a cloud-based solution that can be accessed from anywhere, and it’s also mobile-friendly, allowing employees to complete onboarding tasks on their smartphones or tablets. Workday’s software has been adopted by more than 9,500 companies, including global corporations like AT&T, Chevron, and Comcast.
This software not only provides industry-specific solutions for various sectors, such as nonprofits, healthcare associations, and retail companies, but it also integrates with Workday’s other business solutions, such as Workday Financial Management, for a more comprehensive reporting and insights experience.
- Highly customisable, allowing businesses to tailor the onboarding process to their specific needs
- Document management, task management, and seamless integration with other HR systems
- Provides analytics and reporting capabilities, allowing HR teams to track the progress of new hires and identify areas for improvement
- Incorporates automation to reduce manual tasks and increase productivity
- Built-in integrations with over 600 third-party software solutions, including payroll providers like ADP
- Skills-based recruiting and employee development
- Provides a self-service knowledge base to enhance the employee experience
- A wide range of HR functions, including onboarding, payroll, and performance management.
- A cloud-based system that supports remote and distributed teams.
- Offers scalability, which is crucial for a growing business.
- Task lists for new hires.
- Introduction to organizational structure and team.
- Document management.
- Personalized onboarding experiences for different roles.
- Advanced analytics on onboarding effectiveness.
- Integration with performance and talent management.
Workday HCM does not list its prices online but offers custom pricing based on the specific needs of each business. Some users report that pricing starts at USD 99 per user, per month.
Workday Onboarding software offers commendable flexibility and customizability, allowing it to adapt to specific business needs. It’s been praised for its intuitive interface and its efficiency in core HR functions such as payroll and benefits. Many have found the onboarding process to be user-friendly and efficient. New hires can easily track their progress and complete necessary forms.
However, it has its shortcomings. Some users have mentioned performance issues and found the mobile app in need of further sophistication. There’ve been mentions of the training process being long, extensive, and confusing for some, indicating a possible steep learning curve. Some users have also pointed out limitations, such as the inability to update certain information without contacting HR directly and the lack of notification emails for updates or pending items. The software’s finance module and load time for pulling up information were also mentioned as areas that could be improved.
Despite these cons, the overall experience is positive, balancing ease of use and customizability. The suitability of Workday for a company largely depends on its specific requirements, meaning it may not be a one-size-fits-all solution but could be the perfect fit for businesses looking for a highly customisable HR solution.
Freshteam is a comprehensive HR software developed for the needs of growing businesses. It provides a robust platform for attracting, hiring, onboarding new members, and managing employee information and time off. The software stands out for its recruitment tracking and job posting capabilities, simplifying the hiring process and saving valuable time. Freshteam takes the hiring and onboarding process to the next level, enabling HR teams to get new hires up to speed even before their first day through tasks like form filling, document signing, and handbook distribution.
- Customisable career sites, job board integration, and social media channel integration to attract top talent.
- Collaborative tools for recruiters and hiring managers to screen and interview candidates, share feedback, and make offers.
- Advanced onboarding functionalities allow for tasks to be completed in advance.
- Comprehensive job requisition management, company website posting, social media publishing, customised application forms, resume management, duplicate candidate prevention, candidate search, collaboration, task creation and delegation, email templates, user permissions, notifications and alerts, and reporting.
- Integration with various tools and platforms, including Indeed.com, LinkedIn Jobs, Google Calendar, Microsoft 365, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, Google Meet, ZipRecruiter, HackerRank, HackerEarth Assessments, Codility, DocuSign, and SignEasy.
- Free tier available, which can be particularly advantageous for very small or starting businesses.
- User-friendly interface that simplifies the onboarding process.
- Customizable onboarding workflows that can be tailored to small business needs.
- Task assignments for new hires.
- Digital document management.
- Welcome kits and personalized onboarding emails.
- Integration with other Freshteam modules.
- Advanced reporting on onboarding processes.
Freshteam offers its services starting at USD 1.20 per month, with the added benefit of a free trial to gauge its capabilities and user-friendliness. The software caters to businesses of all sizes, making it scalable and a value-for-money proposition.
Freshteam is lauded for its ease of use, user-friendliness, and functional capabilities, which make it a valuable tool for businesses looking to streamline their recruitment and onboarding process. It offers a robust platform for managing leads, contacts, accounts, and deals and for undertaking sales campaigns. Moreover, it fosters a better partnership between marketing and sales by organising customer information and engagement in one central location.
However, only some things about Freshteam are rosy. Despite being easy to use, it might present challenges to users who need a technical background. They may find it easier to understand and use with the aid of a person with software knowledge or without a good deal of customisation. Additionally, there have been reports of issues with customer support and bugs in the software, which may affect the overall user experience. As such, while Freshteam is recommended for growing companies with expanding sales and marketing automation needs, it may not be suitable for those needing 24/7 support or for companies with many contacts on a tight budget.
Zenefits onboarding software is a user-friendly HR platform that provides a wide range of features aimed at benefits administration, payroll, and talent management. Its intuitive design enables businesses of varying sizes to streamline their HR processes effectively. The software particularly benefits businesses that offer health insurance and other employee benefits.
- User-friendly interface for both administrators and employees.
- Comprehensive benefits administration, including health, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, employee retirement plans, and wellness benefits.
- Ability to offer a wide array of employee benefits.
- The customisable and automated onboarding process for new hires.
- Performance management tools include peer feedback, self-assessment tools, and employee engagement surveys.
- Compensation management tools with a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Self-service features empower employees and reduce admin workload.
- A wide range of app integrations to extend its functionality.
- Mobile onboarding experience allowing on-the-go HR management.
- Standard HR forms and compliance.
- E-signatures for documents.
- Benefits guidance during onboarding.
- Integration with payroll and time tracking.
- Compliance assistance with built-in features.
Zenefits adopts a clear and transparent pricing structure, offering different packages and add-ons at varying price points to suit the needs of other businesses. It costs USD 8/month for the Essentials plan (or USD 10 if billed monthly), USD 16/month for the Growth plan (or USD 20 if billed monthly), and USD 21/month for the Zen plan (or USD 27 if billed monthly). It also has the option to add on payroll for USD 6 per employee per month, recruiting USD 35 per month (or USD 62 billed monthly), advisory services for USD 8 per person per month (or USD 10 if billed monthly), or benefits administration using your own broker for USD 5 per person per month.
The Zenefits platform is highly intuitive, with an easy-to-navigate layout, making it a suitable choice for HR professionals and employees alike. The benefits administration tools are user-friendly, allowing businesses to shop for plans through the platform or integrate their offerings and employees to compare plans and costs easily.
This onboarding software enables businesses to offer various employee benefits, significantly contributing to its appeal. The customisable onboarding process that can be automated for new hires certainly provides efficiency.
However, there can be some challenges. While the software provides a wide range of features, it may lack in certain areas, such as learning management tools and task management capabilities. Another point to note is that while the software offers a comprehensive set of HR, payroll, and benefits features, it may be complex for small business owners due to its intricate interface.
In terms of customer support, Zenefits boasts a dedicated team to assist users with any queries or issues. However, some users have reported difficulties in reaching the support teams. Despite these minor setbacks, Zenefits has proven to be a trusted and effective HR solution.
UKG Pro Onboarding Software is a comprehensive Human Capital Management (HCM) solution designed to deliver a people-centric onboarding experience for new employees. Leveraging cloud technology, the software aims to simplify payroll computations, accelerate talent acquisition, and provide proactive, strategic talent management on a global scale. The software focuses on establishing successful relationships, and boosting new employee engagement and business performance from day one.
- Provides a personalised and consistent onboarding experience accessible from any device.
- Centralises and streamlines HR processes for efficient workforce management.
- Offers robust payroll management capabilities, supporting external payroll vendors and off-cycle/on-demand payment options.
- Allows employees to self-service, accessing and updating their personal information, pay and benefit details, and company policy documentation.
- Delivers comprehensive HR reporting capabilities with custom and pre-built reports.
- Includes asset management features for tracking and managing company assets issued to employees.
- Offers modules for onboarding, performance and goals management, succession planning and recruiting.
- Frequently updates the system to improve user experience.
- Scalable solution that can grow with the business.
- Robust customer service and user community support.
- Customizable onboarding processes.
- Electronic acceptance of company policies.
- New hire portal with all tasks and documents.
- Engagement surveys for new hires.
- Interactive tools and videos for orientation.
- Connection to a wide array of UKG HR services, including performance, talent and compensation management.
While the exact pricing details for UKG Pro Onboarding Software are not disclosed in the reference material, it is regularly observed that most comprehensive HCMs come with a range of pricing options to fit the needs and budgets of different-sized enterprises. Whilst users have reported that pricing starts from USD 600 per year for every five users, you will need to contact a sales represtative for an exact, custom quote.
Regarding the positives, the software’s ability to create a personalised onboarding experience is commendable. This feature allows new hires to complete important tasks easily and have immediate access to essential resources. The convenience of accessing the onboarding portal from any device is also an appreciable feature, promoting a consistent user experience. The software extends support to employees by providing training aids, helping them navigate the system effectively. The various onboarding features and tasks are made available through a customisable checklist, making the process systematic and organised.
However, there are areas where improvements could be beneficial. The performance management module, although functional, could be enhanced to compete with other PM software products. Additionally, there are occasional challenges with integration, support response times, and access to training resources. The report writing process, in particular, has been highlighted as requiring more advanced classes and training resources. While generally reliable, the overall user interface and customer support could benefit from a UI/UX overhaul for a more seamless user experience.
Despite these areas for improvement, UKG Pro Onboarding Software remains a trusted partner in transforming how organisations manage their workforce. It presents an integrated HR solution that supports an evolving workforce while providing complete insights, expert guidance, and customisation options to align with an organisation’s unique values and goals.
Onboarding software is more than just a tool that helps organisations integrate new employees by handling all the paperwork. It’s a digital platform that lets HR teams create an engaging, interactive onboarding journey for new hires. Accessible from any device, it can significantly boost new employee productivity, engagement, and retention. When new hires arrive, they’re fully equipped with all the necessary information, making them feel a part of the organisation even before they set foot in the office.
Several onboarding software options are available, each with a unique focus. For example, Go Onboarding aims to digitise the hiring experience and eliminate paperwork. It lets you customise hiring workflows, automatically generates letters and documents, and provides a digital experience for new hires to complete their paperwork. On the flip side, Bamboo HR Onboarding aims to retain new hires and keep them engaged by offering an onboarding checklist, customisable new hire packets, training materials and an introduction section for new hires to fill out.
The role of an onboarding program specialist is crucial in effectively implementing the onboarding process. They’re responsible for ensuring that the new employees adapt to the work environment swiftly and efficiently. Their tasks include:
- Introducing company norms.
- Preparing paperwork.
- Helping new hires understand their roles.
- Conducting training sessions.
- Offering technical assistance.
They play a significant role in ensuring the successful onboarding of new employees. So, onboarding software and specialists work together to set new hires up for success.
The onboarding process sets the tone for your new hires’ experiences in your organisation. It’s a critical phase where they get to know your company’s culture, values, and team members. A smooth, well-organised, and engaging onboarding process can significantly improve their integration, productivity, and overall satisfaction. Various onboarding software solutions have simplified and automated transactional phases like these. These tools offer a range of benefits that make the onboarding process more efficient and effective, ultimately improving workplace dynamics and business operations.
Onboarding software, like the ones you’ve seen reviewed, offers substantial benefits in consistency, compliance, operational efficiency, cost savings, and employee engagement. These tools create a uniform onboarding experience for all new hires, instilling confidence and demonstrating their value to your organisation. The software caters to your need for legal compliance by streamlining the process of onboarding checklists verifying employment eligibility, running background checks, and collecting necessary paperwork from new hires.
By automating workflows and providing tools for bulk onboarding documents, task notifications, and new hire portals, onboarding software lightens the workload of your HR teams and allows them to focus on strategic work, improving overall operational efficiency. This automation also reduces hiring costs, as employees with a positive onboarding experience are more likely to stay with your company, helping lower turnover costs.
The ability of these onboarding tools and software to seamlessly integrate with existing systems, such as payroll and benefits enrollment, further enhances efficiency by reducing the risk of errors and eliminating the need for paperwork. Finally, a positive onboarding experience facilitated by these tools leads to higher retention rates and engaged employees who are more likely to stay with your company and perform at their best.
So, using onboarding software isn’t just a strategic investment; it’s a way to improve productivity, efficiency and employee satisfaction while significantly impacting your company’s bottom line.
As a small business, you’ll know how much you rely on your employees. With the help of onboarding software, you can ensure your new hires feel welcome, prepared, and excited about their roles. The right onboarding software can kick-start a strong and productive employer-employee relationship from day one.
Whether it’s the comprehensive functionality of BambooHR, the self-service nature of Paycom, the user-friendly interface of Gusto, or the efficient payroll and HR management of OnPay, each onboarding software has something unique to offer. You’ve got Workday’s customizability and integrations, Freshteam’s robust recruitment tracking, Zenefits’ extensive benefits offerings, and UKG Pro’s people-centric approach. These tools offer a broad spectrum of hiring tools to make onboarding a breeze.
Choosing the right onboarding software is more than your business needs and budget. It’s also about testing the best onboarding software for small businesses and getting to know its features before making a final decision. The right onboarding tool doesn’t just streamline the process; it also plays a crucial role in maintaining employee satisfaction and retention rates.
In a world where workforce demographics are changing, and remote working is becoming more common, these onboarding workflow software tools are the unsung heroes. They’re helping organisations adapt to new ways of working by making onboarding processes efficient and enjoyable, no matter where your new hires are located.
So, why not equip your HR teams with the best onboarding software? Your small business will flourish with a highly engaged and productive workforce.